Friday, September 28, 2012

Bored to Death


Did anyone ever watch “Bored to Death?” I always find myself re-watching the series in the fall. I don’t know if it’s some sort of nostalgia intertwined with the show’s original airing or what it is exactly, but I like it. It’s got a sort of melancholy to it that pairs nicely with autumn. Leaves exploding in colors, the temperature dropping enough to experiment with pieces and layers, pumpkin beers, Halloween, cider. Soon it will be cold, lifeless winter, but the change is in such a good way. It’s a beautiful sadness.

Plus, “Bored to Death” is a bit stimulating from a menswear perspective. GQ once rated Jonathan Ames, the show’s main character, as one of the worst dressed characters on TV. That’s certainly a fair judgment, because there’s a lot of questionable pattern mixing, but it’s interesting to look at. Sometimes you learn just as much from what people do wrong as you learn from what people do right. 

Source
Source
Source

If you haven’t seen it, it’s worth a look. There were only three seasons before HBO cancelled it to make way for shows like “Girls” (which I actually do watch, despite it being pretty much like Sex & the City, but set in Brooklyn with poor 20-year-olds. Don’t judge me, it can be funny). I can understand why HBO cancelled it though, because in rewatchings I’ve come to notice how ridiculous it was. It’s definitely a love-it-or-hate-it kind of show, but to me, it’s enjoyable enough.

Thanks for reading, 

MD

No comments:

Post a Comment